Skip to main content

Intro to the Big C

Dec 21 2007

For those of you who don't know, I found out recently that I have Breast Cancer. This is a shock to me and everyone around me. I am right now working on the acceptance of this and I am taking baby steps. Fortunately I have amazing people in my life and I have had the past 10 years to really get to know myself. I know what I can and can't do and I have been prepared by God for this experience. With that said, I have started writing again (kind of).

I am standing before a mountain and you are on the other side. If I look up at the mountain it is overwhelming, but when I look at my feet I feel the ground and I walk. There is a long trail before me with moments keeping me from continuing and moments where I find your bridge and I cross.

I know that I have a rough road ahead of me, and most of you have no idea what to say or how to even absorb this information. THAT IS OK! This is difficult for everyone. Right now I need everyone to be as "normal" as possible with me and if you want to say something to me right now the best words are that you love me, you support me and you are here for me.

As you read this, instead of posting an "I am so sorry" message, tell me something funny. Share a memory of something we have done together that is funny, or tell me a stupid joke (love them) or go ahead and finally tell me how you have secretly been infatuated with me (I know there are a few of you). Above all else right now I have to laugh, fortunately I am freaking hilarious (in my own head) so I am going to be alright.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Rosie,

Babe is helping me get started in your Blog. We hope it works.

Love, Patsy&Babe

Popular posts from this blog

I made a choice.

So I have spent the past few weeks thinking.   Trying to nail down what is most important.  Trying to give myself some perspective.   So I have outlined my worst case scenarios.  Worst case scenario #1:  I don't have the surgery now and end up with cancer in the next few years.   Worst case scenario #2: I have the surgery now and a few years from now I am unhappy and upset that I never had my own biological children.   Worst case scenario #3: I have horrible menopausal symptoms for the next few years.   So. When I write them out.  I see something pretty clear.  #2 and #3 are temporary and there are options for me to work through.   #1 could equal death.  Which is pretty permanent.   So. I'm gonna do it.  That's how I feel right now.  I'm going to chose short term suffering to have a better long term life.   I am trying to read up on things I can do to mitigate menopause that ...

Please keep your hands and feet inside during the ride

Right now, 10:53 is the first moment in a month that I had to stop what I was doing to write. This moment was constant back in "the early months". The past few entries were forced and out of necessity not out of wanting to share and express my thoughts. That may have been apparent to some of you. I am trying. I am trying to slowly deal with all of this. But you see - its not like I can check off my to do list easily. So i thought i would share some of my thoughts... #1- I thank god i don't have cancer #2 - I need to relax because I don't have cancer and focus on my healing #3 - I need to accept that my best long term best option was to have a double masectomy and that i chose that and the form of reconstruction - I CHOSE #4 - I need to tell myself that once I heal I will be able to accept my appearance #5 - I need remember how i looked bald and be thankful that I have 2 inches of hair now and I should stop looking at my "before cancer" pictures and cry...

I'm back...well sorta

Hello everyone, I'm back. Medically speaking I am doing pretty fabulous.  I made it through the surgery.  i am recovering pretty fast and I am able to do a little more each day.  I was surprised by the level of pain I experienced while in the hospital and my first week home. It was much more painful that i imagined, but that is in the past now.  In addition, I did not realize how much after care i would need with my various cuts and stitches, but that too will pass.  My mom has been taking care of me and i know that I would not have made it through this without her. I also realize that I do know myself well and as I suspected this has been the most emotionally difficult part of cancer treatment.  i struggled at times with the chemo and wrapping my head around having cancer but those were minor.  I am trying to slowly deal with everything, but it is very difficult and exhausting.   i am planning to go to NC for a few weeks to recover there.  i don't think I can stand to be...