Skip to main content

Beer thirty

What an interesting day...

This morning I saw a guy walk thru my backyard. That was followed immediately by a loud sound, I later identified as my cooler being opened and closed. Turns out my "neighbor" has been stealing lukewarm beers out of the cooler on my back porch. I went outside, saw that the cooler that previously held 20-30 beers was left with 2 beers.

I went to the edge of my backyard and saw him going into his fenced in backyard. I stood there for a minute in disbelief, to which he walked back out of his yard. I immediately went back into my house and locked the door. (After moving the cooler closer to my house thus making it less accessible).

I made a few phone calls to people telling them about the event - laughing at how insane it is that my neighbor is stealing beers off my porch. I imagined him thinking wow I am thirsty, why don’t I walk 5 houses down and grab a beer. Then repeating this process about 30 times. I also pictured him hanging out on my back porch laid back in a chair sipping away at Bud light. I took bets from people on whether he would come back for the last two beers.

Well - he did. This time it kind of made me angry, as he was "caught" and I let it slide, so stealing the last two beers was a little insulting. So this time, I walked to the edge, made eye contact and kind of threw my hands/arms up in a "WTF" kind of way. He walked around to the front of his house.

I went to my front door and asked my neighbor who was outside if she saw a guy walk around the town houses. Turns out she did and she told me the cops picked him up an hour ago, but he just got back. I guess his mom owns the townhouse and she locks him out during the day.

Well I guess his guilty conscience caused him to walk up to me. (Thankfully in full view of 5 other people.) He apologized and explained that he is an alcoholic. I told him yeah I guessed that when he stole beer at 11 in the afternoon from my backyard. He apologized and then promptly asked if I had any more beer. I told him no. He tried to pay me $1.65 for the beer because he felt bad. I insisted that he keep his money. He then asked me if I could go buy him beer. I declined.

So what started as a really funny situation this morning: a lukewarm beer stealing neighbor, turned out to be a really sad situation: a 20 something raging alcoholic with no where to sleep.
At least I know I will be better at making sure all my doors are locked.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shaved

I went ahead and shaved my head today. It has been falling out non-stop since Thursday. I traveled to Stafford today to pick up my wigs so I had Hazel go ahead and buzz cut my hair. She did leave enough at the top for a killer mohawk this weekend. I must say I was more upset this morning constantly throwing away chunks of hair than I am right now, rubbing my softly shaven head. Two new observations: 1. Everything is much colder 2. My head is much lighter

Chemo #3

I had my third chemo session today. My friend Claire went with me. It's nice to have someone there; I dare say a partner in crime. Plus, since I am hooked to a machine, I get to boss around my guest to get me coffee, snacks etc. Pretty sweet, I mean they have to get stuff for me. :) I feel better this week than last week. Every time I cross a new bridge with this deal (newest bridge = hair loss) I am forced onto the roller coaster again. I have a hard time when I am sad or upset. It is really frustrating, when I feel sad I think back to the week before when I felt good, when I was happy. I sit there and try to figure out how to get back to feeling good. The answer so far has been simple, time. Time to process what is going on. Time to process how I feel and time to figure out what I can do to make it better. Sometimes there is nothing I can do and somehow in those moments one of my friends sends a text, a card, a package or email to let me know they care. It really ma

I made a choice.

So I have spent the past few weeks thinking.   Trying to nail down what is most important.  Trying to give myself some perspective.   So I have outlined my worst case scenarios.  Worst case scenario #1:  I don't have the surgery now and end up with cancer in the next few years.   Worst case scenario #2: I have the surgery now and a few years from now I am unhappy and upset that I never had my own biological children.   Worst case scenario #3: I have horrible menopausal symptoms for the next few years.   So. When I write them out.  I see something pretty clear.  #2 and #3 are temporary and there are options for me to work through.   #1 could equal death.  Which is pretty permanent.   So. I'm gonna do it.  That's how I feel right now.  I'm going to chose short term suffering to have a better long term life.   I am trying to read up on things I can do to mitigate menopause that are not hormone based.   If you are reading this and have a