Skip to main content

I'm back...well sorta

Hello everyone, I'm back.


Medically speaking I am doing pretty fabulous.  I made it through the surgery.  i am recovering pretty fast and I am able to do a little more each day.  I was surprised by the level of pain I experienced while in the hospital and my first week home. It was much more painful that i imagined, but that is in the past now.  In addition, I did not realize how much after care i would need with my various cuts and stitches, but that too will pass.  My mom has been taking care of me and i know that I would not have made it through this without her.


I also realize that I do know myself well and as I suspected this has been the most emotionally difficult part of cancer treatment.  i struggled at times with the chemo and wrapping my head around having cancer but those were minor.  I am trying to slowly deal with everything, but it is very difficult and exhausting.  


i am planning to go to NC for a few weeks to recover there.  i don't think I can stand to be in my house anymore.  I have spent 90% of my life the past 10 months in my house.  i just can't do it right now.  i guess I need to escape my life to try to heal so I can move forward. 


i feel incredibly vulnerable and fragile right now.  AND I also have some feeling of achievement.     However, for the most part right now I feel numb.  Everything is a little too much right now, too heavy, too permenent, too emotional, too exposing, too conflicted.  I fear that I will not be able to switch from cancer fight or flight mode to a normal non-cancer life.  BUT right now it is all very fresh.  I have not had time to process everything and take the healthy steps to move forward.  I know deep down that I will be better in a few weeks, physically and mentally.  I am just stuck right now in the middle, struggling.  I chose to be honest with everyone and tell you how i am not doing so well emotionally right now because 1) I like being honest and 2) I may be oversensitive and may need extra care and patience from those in my life.   


Please don't worry.  As i said before, I will overcome this last part.  I will adjust back to "normal".   I will not allow the past year and cancer to either define me or hinder me in the future.  This experience will with time make me a more caring, understanding and loving person.  I just have to travel through some knee deep mud over the next few weeks to get there.  


Much love to everyone, thank you for your love, prayers and support.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This is a big thank you to Rosie's friends that were so much help to me. When I was tired someone would stay for 7-8 hours and sometimes overnite. I could sleep better knowing that someone was there that could call me if I was needed. The meals were great. The love that poured over Rosie and me was great and will last a long time. God Bless you great beautiful friends. Love, Pam R.

Popular posts from this blog

Shaved

I went ahead and shaved my head today. It has been falling out non-stop since Thursday. I traveled to Stafford today to pick up my wigs so I had Hazel go ahead and buzz cut my hair. She did leave enough at the top for a killer mohawk this weekend. I must say I was more upset this morning constantly throwing away chunks of hair than I am right now, rubbing my softly shaven head. Two new observations: 1. Everything is much colder 2. My head is much lighter

Chemo #3

I had my third chemo session today. My friend Claire went with me. It's nice to have someone there; I dare say a partner in crime. Plus, since I am hooked to a machine, I get to boss around my guest to get me coffee, snacks etc. Pretty sweet, I mean they have to get stuff for me. :) I feel better this week than last week. Every time I cross a new bridge with this deal (newest bridge = hair loss) I am forced onto the roller coaster again. I have a hard time when I am sad or upset. It is really frustrating, when I feel sad I think back to the week before when I felt good, when I was happy. I sit there and try to figure out how to get back to feeling good. The answer so far has been simple, time. Time to process what is going on. Time to process how I feel and time to figure out what I can do to make it better. Sometimes there is nothing I can do and somehow in those moments one of my friends sends a text, a card, a package or email to let me know they care. It really ma

I made a choice.

So I have spent the past few weeks thinking.   Trying to nail down what is most important.  Trying to give myself some perspective.   So I have outlined my worst case scenarios.  Worst case scenario #1:  I don't have the surgery now and end up with cancer in the next few years.   Worst case scenario #2: I have the surgery now and a few years from now I am unhappy and upset that I never had my own biological children.   Worst case scenario #3: I have horrible menopausal symptoms for the next few years.   So. When I write them out.  I see something pretty clear.  #2 and #3 are temporary and there are options for me to work through.   #1 could equal death.  Which is pretty permanent.   So. I'm gonna do it.  That's how I feel right now.  I'm going to chose short term suffering to have a better long term life.   I am trying to read up on things I can do to mitigate menopause that are not hormone based.   If you are reading this and have a