Skip to main content

One more to go!!

I have been writing in my head the past few days, not quite making it to paper until today. Things are good, really good. Minus some pretty severe fatigue and sleeping issues. But as time goes on you get used to that, it is part of the game.

I have been assessing my friendship qualities as of late, trying to figure out who I have been a mediocre friend to the past six months. I find that sometimes those the closest to me are the ones I have not been the best to lately. Not that I throw sticks at them or anything, I just keep them on the back burner as far as their lives go. It is just that cancer is so all consuming. It is hard for me to escape it.

I have taken care of all the things I have control over lately, so I have been doing the waiting game dance for a while. Waiting to find out about radiation, waiting to find the right surgeon and reconstruction procedure. Waiting, Waiting, Waiting. And while I wait the world is still spinning around me, most the time with me trucking along with it.

I have officially completed my 11th treatment of Taxol and I have one left. I am pretty darn excited to be done with Chemo, what a long road I have been on. It is kind of surreal, like I keep expecting to go in next week and they will tell me I have to go for 6 more weeks. So I guess I am not really going to start celebrating until I complete my last chemo next Thursday. Oh what a glorious day that will be.

I realized the other day that a lot of people who read this may not know that much about me, Rosie at 28. You have touched my life at different times and therefore may not know that much about the current Rosie. So let me fill you in a bit.

I love driving, I suspect I may have been a race car driver in a past life, just ask any passenger who has ridden with me. I love cars, I find them fascinating but my heart belongs to Toyota Tacoma’s. When I hear a car with a throaty exhaust, my nostrils flare. Much like when I hear a particularly nasty guitar riff.

I love to dance, to all types of music; if I can't dance my hands are moving to the beat. I love watching my friends play music; it is extra special as I love the music and my friends - so uniting those together is perfect.

I am incredibly rational 95% of the time, sometimes to the annoyance of my friends. I like people to be happy, which causes me to make lots of jokes, especially in awkward moments. I could go vegetarian if I did not happen to love medium rare ribeye steaks. I often want to go to a Japanese steakhouse, just for the fried rice.

I talk non-stop if I am nervous, as if the silence would kill me. The more comfortable with people I am, the less I talk. I am trying to find balance in my life, the past 4 years have found me either insanely active or incredibly sedentary, and I still have not found my middle ground.

I have on more than one occasion stayed up till four in the morning reading Harry Potter books, yeah I admit it. I have a crazy active imagination and can scare the crap out of myself easily so I don't watch too many scary movies as they stick in my mind for days.

I am a die hard Redskins fan, to the point that I have no problem getting into an argument with a 7 year old Cowboys, Giants or Eagles fan that may or may not have been sitting behind me at Fed Ex. Most my friends find it ridiculous that I would never date a Cowboys, Eagles or Giants fan - although my Redskins fan friends seem to understand.

I tend to have abrupt endings to things because I think about it for a long time before I act. Like right now. Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shaved

I went ahead and shaved my head today. It has been falling out non-stop since Thursday. I traveled to Stafford today to pick up my wigs so I had Hazel go ahead and buzz cut my hair. She did leave enough at the top for a killer mohawk this weekend. I must say I was more upset this morning constantly throwing away chunks of hair than I am right now, rubbing my softly shaven head. Two new observations: 1. Everything is much colder 2. My head is much lighter

Chemo #3

I had my third chemo session today. My friend Claire went with me. It's nice to have someone there; I dare say a partner in crime. Plus, since I am hooked to a machine, I get to boss around my guest to get me coffee, snacks etc. Pretty sweet, I mean they have to get stuff for me. :) I feel better this week than last week. Every time I cross a new bridge with this deal (newest bridge = hair loss) I am forced onto the roller coaster again. I have a hard time when I am sad or upset. It is really frustrating, when I feel sad I think back to the week before when I felt good, when I was happy. I sit there and try to figure out how to get back to feeling good. The answer so far has been simple, time. Time to process what is going on. Time to process how I feel and time to figure out what I can do to make it better. Sometimes there is nothing I can do and somehow in those moments one of my friends sends a text, a card, a package or email to let me know they care. It really ma

I made a choice.

So I have spent the past few weeks thinking.   Trying to nail down what is most important.  Trying to give myself some perspective.   So I have outlined my worst case scenarios.  Worst case scenario #1:  I don't have the surgery now and end up with cancer in the next few years.   Worst case scenario #2: I have the surgery now and a few years from now I am unhappy and upset that I never had my own biological children.   Worst case scenario #3: I have horrible menopausal symptoms for the next few years.   So. When I write them out.  I see something pretty clear.  #2 and #3 are temporary and there are options for me to work through.   #1 could equal death.  Which is pretty permanent.   So. I'm gonna do it.  That's how I feel right now.  I'm going to chose short term suffering to have a better long term life.   I am trying to read up on things I can do to mitigate menopause that are not hormone based.   If you are reading this and have a