Skip to main content

emotional health - back in the game

I spent some time today reading emails. I put a bunch of emails that I was sent back during the whole "cancer thing" into a folder. Today was the first day I went back to them.

I felt so blessed as I read them. I am really forgetful these days and reading the words of love and encouragement from the past was really beautiful.

One of my greatest struggles over the past year has been allowing myself to feel emotions. I did not even realize that I had emotionally shut myself off. As I was physically healing from the chemo and surgeries I started to become overwhelmed with emotions. I was nearing the time to go back to work, and I started to freak out. I knew that if I did not start to process everything that happened I would completely lose it. The thought of that terrified me. So I started seeing a therapist to try to learn how to process and cope with it all.

I had to go back through the past year, and as I did, I realized that I had shut down my ability to feel emotions. I forced myself to focus only on surviving the physical pain and side affects.

I have worked hard the past year and a half to become emotionally healthy again. At first, when I would get upset, I would literally shake my head, as to shake off the emotion. I did not allow myself to feel anything. With time I was able to stop doing that. The next phase was me constantly questioning whether I was feeling the appropriate amount of emotion. If I was sad, I sat there and focused on whether I was allowed to be sad, and if so how sad etc. This last part went on for close to a year.

I recently had a situation that exposed me emotionally and I felt incredibly vulnerable. I am happy to say that I was able to allow myself to feel what I felt in the moment. I was sad and being sad was okay. Once I felt my feelings, I then took the time to process how and why I felt the way I did. Although it was difficult, I was for the first time since 2007, having an emotionally healthy response. In the moment of the pain I questioned God, not the existence but I wanted to know why I was feeling such pain. Although I don't have the answer to that question, I am so thankful for the opportunity to take a situation and process it.

It feels so good to get back more and more pieces of myself. I have truly learned over the past few years that often the right thing is the hardest and through sadness and confusion you can find your peace. I am so thankful to be able to see my progress, to see where I was before cancer, during cancer and now in the wake of it all.

Much love - R

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shaved

I went ahead and shaved my head today. It has been falling out non-stop since Thursday. I traveled to Stafford today to pick up my wigs so I had Hazel go ahead and buzz cut my hair. She did leave enough at the top for a killer mohawk this weekend. I must say I was more upset this morning constantly throwing away chunks of hair than I am right now, rubbing my softly shaven head. Two new observations: 1. Everything is much colder 2. My head is much lighter

Chemo #3

I had my third chemo session today. My friend Claire went with me. It's nice to have someone there; I dare say a partner in crime. Plus, since I am hooked to a machine, I get to boss around my guest to get me coffee, snacks etc. Pretty sweet, I mean they have to get stuff for me. :) I feel better this week than last week. Every time I cross a new bridge with this deal (newest bridge = hair loss) I am forced onto the roller coaster again. I have a hard time when I am sad or upset. It is really frustrating, when I feel sad I think back to the week before when I felt good, when I was happy. I sit there and try to figure out how to get back to feeling good. The answer so far has been simple, time. Time to process what is going on. Time to process how I feel and time to figure out what I can do to make it better. Sometimes there is nothing I can do and somehow in those moments one of my friends sends a text, a card, a package or email to let me know they care. It really ma

Chemo Round numero dos

What up peeps. I just did my second round of chemo. I actually have fun there. The nurses are so my homies and I made a new friend. His name is Bernie and he is around 65ish. He is funny and his whole family has a great sense of humor. Before I left he made sure that I understood from this point on I must, yes must, save a seat for him next to me. Bernie is my BOY!!! I felt okay right after chemo but about an hour later felt pretty bad. It is hard to describe I guess it feels like a really bad flu that comes out of nowhere. So I took extra nausea meds and pain pills. So although my brain is real real slow, I feel pretty good. The nurses were shocked that I still had hair, and let me know that the hair loss will be increasing over the next week. I plan to have a head shaving party at my house next Fri or Sat. If you are local you are welcome to join the fiesta. I am hoping to be able to shave my head and leave a temporary mohawk. Why you ask? Well if not now, will I really